To prepare key ways in a given circular
bar on a slotting machine.
1. Tool is held in the ram.
2. Required shape is set for ram.
3. The table is moved properly and the job is
properly fixed in the chuck.
4. Switch on the motor so that ram
reciprocates up and down.
5. The feed is given in small steps till
required slot is cut to the required depth.
1. The job must be properly fixed.
2. Feed must be given uniformly.
The required slot is obtained on the
To machine a rectangular M.S. block and
prepare a V-groove on shaping machine with
2. Steel rule.
M. S. block.
1. The job is fixed on the table vice.
2. The tool is fixed on the arm.
3. The stroke of ram is adjusted to required
length and machine is switched on.
4. Before fixing the job the `V’-groove
dimensions are marked on the job with
the help of dot punch.
5. First the tool is aligned with the center of
6. The feed given such that the tools
gradually move on either side of the
7. The tool is moved care fully to get
1. The tool should be properly fixed.
2. Proper movement of the tool must be
The required groove is obtained on
To drill two holes and tap one hole,
remaining counter sunk.
Drill bit (H.S.S)
Tap set (M 12), 8.5
Drill bit (counter sunk)
1. The job has two holes to be drilled. The
centers of the holes are fixed.
2. The job is held tightly in the drill press
3. The required drill bit is fixed in the drill
4. The liver is rotated so that the drill bit
tool comes down, drilling is done.
5. The tapping is done using three steps.
1. The drill bit must be properly fixed.
2. Centers must be correctly marked.
3. Drill bit tip must align with centers
marked on job.
The required holes are drilled on the
job also tapping and counter sunk operations
To obtain a finished surface by surface
Mild steel plate.
1. Place the work on magnetic table i.e.,
under grinding wheel, engage leaver to
magnetize the table.
2. Move the grinding wheel nearer to the
work until it touches, by rotating hand
3. Switch on both motors, i.e., spindle head
and cutting fluid supplying motors.
4. Give proper depth of cut by moving down
the grinding wheel.
5. Proper feed (Longitudinal & Cross) is
given in uniform to the work.
6. Operation is done till required surface
finish is obtained.
1. Required depth only has to be given.
2. The lubrication should be switched on.
The required surface finish is
To perform taper turning and knurling on
given work piece with given dimensions
Mild steel rod.
1. The job is fixed on the chuck.
2. Spindle is rotated at given speed.
3. Facing is done on the job using single
4. The job is finished to required outer
diameter.The taper angle is calculated
using the formulate. Tan ?= (D-d)/2L.
5. The tool mounted on compound rest is
attached to a circular base graduated in
degrees, Which may be rotated and
clamped at required angle “a”
6. The taper turning is done till required
taper is reached.
7. For knurling, tool post is kept in original
position and knurling tool is placed.
8. Knurling is carried out at slow speed
giving small feeds.
1. The compound slide must be set at proper
2. The feed must be given carefully.
3. The diamond rollers for knurling must be
held on the job.
The taper turning and knurling
operations are performed on given work at
To perform step turning and threading on
the given work piece with given dimension.
: Single point cutting
M. S. Rod
1) The given job is hold in the chuck.
2) Facing operation is done using single point
3) The work piece is finished for required
diameter at given lengths as per the diameter.
4) The threading tool is placed in the tool post
and spindle speed is set at required values.
5) The half nut is engaged with the lead screw
and required dimensions are set.
6) Thread cutting is done to required length.
1) The job must be properly held in the chuck.
2) The tool must be properly fixed.
3) Operation must be performed at required
4) Proper amount of feed must be given.
Step turning and threading is done on
the given work piece to required dimensions